Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Badgers Foal!!!

Badger had her foal, a colt born June 16, 2009 at 9:40 PM!
I did not blog earlier because we were having computer problems, but I wanted to share this wonderful experience!
Meet Sparta!

Just the beginning

Waiting for Badger to push

Cleaning the amniotic fluids from his nose to allow him to breath!

Sparta, just moments after birth

Badger and Sparta bonding

Badger had a tough time with this big guy, she needed to have our help and she seemed glad for it. It was raining the night she had him, Badger was very restless, as she pushed she ended up getting her head and upper body outside the gate of the barn, we ended up having to remove the gate to allow her more room, as she pushed she sounded like a bear growling with each contraction but she wasn't getting him any where, she kept pushing and breathing so heavy, I knew she was having a difficult time. I stepped in and pulled with all of my strength with each contraction but we still were not getting him to budge so Alan joined in and we both pulled when Badger pushed and in no time she had a BIG Beautiful colt who could not wait to get on his feet, Sparta has so much spirit in him, he is going to be a challenge! He's as tall as Dexter is at a month old and he is already the dominate of the two foals and Sparta is just a week old!
This was such a great experience for me and I feel Blessed that everything went well for Badger and for us, this was a life moment that will never be forgotten!
God was with us all in the barn that night and I Thank him for his loving guidance, I have never helped any animal with the miracle of life and felt very comfortable with the whole event!
(Thanks to the books we read and the You Tube videos we watched about foaling!)
Badger is a good Mom and very proud of her new baby, after the birthing was over and Sparta nursed, Badger came up to where I was sitting and placed her nose in my lap as if to say Thank you, I'm glad you were here!
She is my pride, I love her with so much of my heart,
ours is a friendship like no other and I think she was telling me she feels the same way!

No comments: