Thursday, January 21, 2016

Surviving a Blizzard

I am sitting here tonight watching the weather report of a blizzard headed our way for the weekend and decided to look in on face book to see what is being said out there, I have seen multiple photos being posted of store shelves emptied of milk and bread, reading statements of people being concerned that they can not stock up on what they needed or wanted, others are worried about losing power during the storm and all of this has reminded me of the many reasons we are happy living this life in which we chose, We are prepared with food, water and heat, No trips to the grocery store for us and no worries of losing power, we have a wood stove to keep us warm and cook our food, oil lamps to light the night and food that we worked hard all summer to get us through!
I baked bread today...not because of the incoming snow but, because that is where our bread comes from and today was baking day...storm or no storm!


This is the bread that I baked today

I am comforted in knowing my family will be warm and fed during this blizzard and realized, Our life will go on unaffected by this weather event but, it also makes me think a little more about, how many people are not prepared and how so many people rely on outside resources; just to survive some snow, What IF something changed about life as we know it? If store shelves are empty because the weatherman mentions snow, what would happen to those people during a real catastrophic event? How many know how to grow any type of food or find food in the wild? If you are reading this and can relate, I urge you to learn! We live in a great age for information and you can learn anything with a google search, Use it, Learn and change....even if it is just a little, at least it is something that will make you feel a little more secure! 
In the meantime, I am sitting here by the wood stove, Warm and cozy, drinking a cup of tea while planning this years garden and feeling grateful for the blessings in our life! So I urge you, go search out and learn something new, you will be glad you did in hard times! If you are in the path of this winter storm, I hope you will be safe and warm! 

No comments: