Sunday, March 16, 2008

Incubating Chicken Eggs

This is our first attempt to incubate eggs

We set 20 chicken eggs in the incubator on March 9, 2008
The temperature and water levels are checked three times a day along with watching that the egg turner is properly working.
it takes 21 days to hatch the eggs and they will get candled at 8 days and again at 14 days to make sure that the eggs are indeed fertile and that life is starting to form!
Our first day of candling will be Monday, I will try to take pictures of our process as we go!

5 comments:

Farmhouse Blessings said...

That is fascinating. I am really looking forward to watching the process! Thanks so much for sharing!

Be blessed, Lea

BittersweetPunkin said...

I grew up on a farm and I remember my Grandmother had a hatchery down in the basement...she used to keep the eggs in a huge wash basin in the corner with a big light hanging over it to keep the eggs warm...wow..theres a memory!Thank you!
Blessings,
Robin

Loretta said...

This has got to be exciting for you ann! Keep me posted!

Anonymous said...

today i bought an incubator,i have set 42 maran eggs in it and was browsing tinternet looking for tips when i came accross your site which i thought would be interesting,and possibly informative,how wrong i was,WHAT HAPPENED NEXT???From george

Annie said...

Well George, I think you are rude, I do NOT intend my blog to be anything but MY journal, you did not even allow me a site to respond, If you would have read the rest of my blog you would see that I posted more information, If you want information on any topic, you have the whole internet...by the way not tinternet as you spelled it, use spell check!
There are sites out there that are informative, the last place I would rely on informative topics like this is certainly NOT a blog as blogs are peoples opinions and not always the best advice.