Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Royal Palm Turkey

We raise Royal Palm Turkeys, they are a heritage breed and very fun to raise, There is one hen who has decided to sit on her nest and we have been allowing her this time for quite a while now, it takes 28 days to hatch turkey eggs and I am sorry to say that I did not keep track of when she started setting, I think she is getting close though!
She used to leave her nest when I would enter the coop to feed and water them but, today I noticed she would not get off her nest and she even hissed at me while I was in there tonight.

This is a picture of her on the nest

This is one of our Toms, "Big Boy"
He has decided to take up roost on one of the shelves inside the barn, this used to be the shelf I would store my extra flower pots on but, I have had to remove them after he knocked several of them off the shelf a few times.
He is not allowed in the coop right now because he wouldnt play nice with the other Toms, so he is inside the common area of our barn!

I love the turkeys and their antics, they gobble when I go down to the barn as if to say " Hello"! Big Boy usually follows me around when I am doing chores and the Toms are so pretty strutting around!

1 comment:

Farmhouse Blessings said...

They are so lovely! I think I would be a bit intimidated if Big Boy followed me around. I'd probably start walking slowly at first and then trotting until I was at a complete run screaming! LOL

Blessings,
Lea