Friday, October 26, 2007

Making Apple Sauce


Its raining here again today, so I thought it would be a good day to make apple sauce!

I just core my apples and fill a large 10 quart soup pot with the apples, add enough apple juice or cider to the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking and cook until the apples are very tender and it begins to resemble apple sauce. run this through a strainer, I use a colander and pour it in over a big pot, then use a wooden spoon to separate the pulp from the peelings. Next in your pot with the apple pulp just add sugar and cinnamon to taste and cook a little while longer to dissolve the sugar and blend the flavor of the cinnamon.
That's it.... Very easy!
you can then put them into jars and can them in a water bath canner!

**When you make apple sauce use any type of apple that is very ripe to obtain maximum flavor, you can mix varieties of apples for a better flavor. I purchased deer apples from a local grower for $5.00 a bushel and picked out the best ones to make my apple sauce, then the animals get what apples I decide not to use for my apple sauce or apple butter!
Try some today, you won't be disappointed!


1 comment:

Patty said...

looks yummy. Its always nice to have the pantry well stocked for the winter