Sunday, October 14, 2007

Raising Chickens



I enjoy having chickens and watching their antics!
I never thought about raising these kinds of animals before we moved to PA but, I really enjoy it, more than I thought I would. We bought our first flock in February from McMurray Hatchery and I couldn't wait until the day they arrived! They actually came to us through the post office! it was very amusing to me, to think that I would have 26 chickens mailed to me! So the morning they arrived, the post office called to let us know our chickens were waiting on us and immediately I was out the door and on my way to become the Mom to 26 cute little baby chicks!
They arrived in a box, all huddled together nice and warm and just as cute as could be, we brought them home and put them in a brooder box with a heat lamp and sugar water, we took each one out and dipped their beaks into the water so they could find it and gently sat them down by the water, they started drinking right away and then we added some special mash that we purchased from the hatchery for them to eat. They looked so cute and we watched them like hawks! Our 26 little chicks were instantly entertainment for the whole family. We kept the brooder box in the basement until they were ready to enter the coop. I remember the first time I heard our first rooster crow! It was like a gift to me I was so excited to go and see that it was Charlie one of our Silverlaced Wyandottes!
That was like music to my ears and I had to call my Mom for her to hear it!
Then the day I walked into the coop to let the chickens out and found My first egg was another gift that my wonderful new friends had given me, I found a total of 4 eggs that day!
Now we get about 22 to 24 eggs a day! We feed, water and take care of our chickens and they repay our efforts with fantastic, great tasting eggs every day now!
I sell the fresh eggs for $1.50 a dozen so they even pay for their own feed!
I Love having my Chicken friends!

No comments: