Friday, October 19, 2007

Very Sad Day continued

Well with the help of my friends at Homestead.org, we have come to the conclusion, the animal that killed my chickens is probably a raccoon. The really sad news is that if it was a raccoon, they will keep coming back for more so we have decided to put out a trap.
I kept the chickens in the coop secured with cinder blocks against the door for awhile to hopefully keep them safe.
We are making more frequent trips to the barn to check on everything and today I have only gathered 3 eggs.... The poor things have been so traumatized by this invasion they just are not laying. I hope we can catch this intruder so the chickens can go back outside and enjoy the life they are used to having, sunning themselves, taking dirt baths and getting plenty of fresh air and exercise.
What a hard lesson to learn.

No comments: