Monday, December 3, 2007

Home Made Laundry Detergent

I use this Laundry detergent every day, It is safe for the environment and very economical but most important, It cleans my clothes better than any other detergent I have bought and that is important to us, we have a well and we have a high iron/rust problem here, this detergent keeps my whites white with out the use of bleach!
It takes just a little elbow grease and a small amount of time to make it but, that's well worth it to me for the benefits I see in the end!

I pay 99 cents for a bar of Fels naptha, 2.49 a box for each,Borax and Arm and Hammer Washing soda.
This detergent will go a very long way, I saw on another web site that it costs about 2 cents per load of laundry! That's a savings I can sure live with!
I buy all of these items at my local grocery store but, if they are not available in your area, you can purchase them over the Internet. There are several different recipes I have seen and tried but the one I prefer is this;
Grate 1 bar of Fels Naptha soap and add 1 cup each of Borax and Arm and Hammer Washing soda ( This is not the same as baking soda), Mix all ingredients together, I also run this powder through my blender a few times to mix it all together very fine.
Use 2 Tablespoons per wash for regular laundry, add 3 Tablespoons for hard water or very soiled laundry.... Like I said this goes a long way!
It will not make suds in your wash but it will clean your clothes better than those expensive name brand soaps!
You can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the final rinse if you like a perfume smell to your laundry, I like Lavender for my bed sheets!

No comments: